Quality of Life
• Provide a safer means of transportation connecting schools, parks, employment centers,
shopping centers, the downtown area, and more.
– BCSC and the Healthy Lifestyles Action Team – “Safe Routes to Schools” :
7 schools and 500 students participated in the 2011 “Walk to School Day”
– 2011 Bike & Pedestrian Plan Public Survey (787 Respondents):
87.2 – 89.3% agreed, “A good pedestrian/bike facilities add value to our community.”
75.8-84.1% agreed, “They would like to live in a community where they could walk/bike to meet the
needs of their lifestyle.”
– 2011 Columbus Parks & Rec Master Plan Public Forums and Surveys (264 respondents):
67.3% of respondents chose People Trail Expansion as the greatest area of priority.
• Increase tourism in our city
• Distinguish Columbus as an active community with high quality lifestyle accommodations
• Create an environmentally friendly, sustainable transportation option
“The Indiana Trails Vision is to educate public and private sectors on the benefits a statewide greenways and bikeways system brings their communities in terms of health, fitness, tourism,
infrastructure and economic values.” – The Indiana Trail Vision